Home | Search for Names | Surnames | Photos | Places |  What's New

Henry Donald Moore

Male 1921 - 2008  (86 years)

Personal Information    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Henry Donald Moore 
    Born 15 November 1921  Youngstown, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Occupation salesman 
    Died 22 July 2008  Grand Rapids, Michigan Find all individuals with events at this location 

    • Henry was baptized at Sacred Heart Church in Youngstown, Ohio on 27 Nov 1921. His Aunt and Uncle, Frank and Dora Gainard, were his Godparents.
      Henry attended grade school at Sacred Heart in Youngstown, Ohio. His mother, Anna (Ann), sent him to first grade when he was only four years old. One day in the fall, after he'd been attending for quite a few weeks, Henry wanted a drink of water while out on the playground. The line was very long, and Henry decided it'd be quicker to run home and get a drink. Anna didn't say a word when he walked in the door, assuming the school had caught onto the fact that he wasn't old enough. She didn't send him back until the next September.
      When Henry was five years old, he went to see a Pittsburgh Pirates vs. New York Giants baseball game with his father Tom. On the way to Pittsburgh from Youngstown (75 miles) to see the game, the car had seven flat tires -- not so uncommon in 1926 due to the poor quality of tires and roads. While they were fixing one of the flats, a curious young Henry removed the steering wheel. Although his father was angry with him, Henry was cajoled into putting the wheel back on because he was the only one who knew how to do it!
      The Moores had a vacant field behind their home. The kids played softball almost daily in the summer. In the fall, they played touch football. They organized a baseball team and played wherever they could get a game during high school. The kids played many games at the Lincoln Park playground in the summer, where there was also a swimming pool. Teachers organized games at the Park to earn extra money in the summer. They also played horseshoes, checkers and a game called "washers," where people tried to toss large metal washers into a can.
      Henry played guard on the football team at Sacred Heart School. He was quite small and thin, but fast. For the sandlot games he was quarterback, dictating all the strategy and plays. There was a lot of fighting, too. It was easy to win if you just didn't quit.
      Henry attended East High School. He was very independent from an early age. In an 26 May 1938 article in the East High newspaper, it is reported: “Kent was again the scene of a great scholastic battle on Saturday, May 7. Thirty-two students representing East were contestants. Wehn the mental strain was over, eight studentds ahd placed, which gave East seventh place in the Northeastern part of Ohio. The winners were Henry Moore, who place fourth, and Joseph Harvey, eighth in world history...”
      Before he went into the service at age 18, he checked himself into the hospital for an operation he needed, never telling his family.
      Henry flew 50 successful B25 missions over Italy and Romania in World War II and that entitled him to 30 days' leave. (He eventually completed 61 missions.) Asked why he flew the "extra" 11 missions, Henry later said he was "young, and thought he was immortal." This impression must have later changed when the pilot on his right wing went down. Mostly his targets were bridges and other small strategic sites and sometimes Henry flew two missions a day. In addition to dropping bombs, they also dropped propaganda leaflets to encourage the Italians to end the War. A flight surgeon examined every pilot after each mission to make sure they were still physically and psychologically capable of flying. Henry earned the rank of Captain in the Air Force, the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, four clusters for Meritorious Combat.
      Henry's three brothers were also in the service. Brother Jack took a leave to attend Henry and Mary's wedding on Dec. 27, 1944. It was a cold day. Henry's father,Tom, couldn't attended the wedding because he had the Flu. The wedding reception was at the Ohio Hotel on Boardman St. in Youngstown. Some of Nora's friends did not show (Mary's mother). The Rhattigans had some family and close friends back to their home on E. Avondale after the reception. Mary's brother Bud was supposed to return to the house and drive Jack Moore to the train station so he could catch his ship back to Italy, but Bud never showed up (he was an alcoholic). Jack almost missed his train, but his uncle Henry McNicholas got him there in time to run and jump onto the moving train. Thus court martial was avoided. The bride and groom honeymooned in Miami Beach, Fla.
      World War II Career:

      - Captain in the Air Force

      - Medals: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, four clusters for Meritorious Combat.

      - Flew B-25s, twin engine bombers (same that Gen. Doolittle flew against Tokyo)

      - Completed 61 missions (50 was standard)

      Since Henry was still in the service when they married, the couple first lived in Pampa, Texas where Henry was stationed. From there they moved to Enid, Oklahoma and then back to San Antonio, TX. Henry received orders to report to Sacramento, CA. Mary, seven months pregnant with their first child, drove home to Youngstown while Henry went on to CA. Their son Timothy Micahel was born on March 12, 1947 and Mary made the long and difficult train rtide to CA with her baby and sister Von two months later. Henry received orders to go to Japan, but asked for a received, a hardship discharge which came through on the last day of 1947. He had been in the Air Corps for five years, attaining the rank of Captain.
      Henry and Mary rented an apartment in Glacier Heights, a suburb of Youngstown, and Henry worked in one of the steelmills. A few years later they moved to a cottage at 184 Maywood Dr., in back of Henry’s Aunt Dora’s house. A second child was born on April 30, 1950, and they named him Terence. Henry became a salesman for Mark’s Tractor and later was promoted to General Manager. He began attending night school at Youngstown College in 1950 or '51, carrying 18 hrs. at first. It took him about five years to graduate.
      With two children the Moores needed a larger home, so they bought one at 61 Romaine St. The most vivid memory of that home came during a particularly heavy rainstorm ion 1953. Mary and the boys were sitting on the top of the basement stairs, watching the water build up in the window wells when, suddenly, the basement walls collapsed from the extreme pressure. Mary scooped up a child in each arm and made it to safety just in time.
      A few years later they built a home in a new development at 6 Ron Joy St. It had a picture window, a back porch, a white brick fireplace and a spacious backyard. The basement was quite large and there family and friends played ping-pong. The home was only a few miles from Mill Creek Park. The whole family enjoyed playing golf there on the 36-hole course.
      In 1960 Henry was transferred to Cleveland. They rented a home there on Chesterfield Dr. in Parma Heights. They didn’t stay long, though, for Henry found a job the following year ion Grand Rapids, Michigan, working for Contractor’s Machinery Co. Some years later he became the Vice-President of a new company, Northern Equipment Co. Through his leadership, the business flourished.
      In 1974 Henry and Mary decided to move to a more pleasant climate and Henry took a job with H.B. Owsley and Sons, another heavy equipment company, in Charlotte, NC. They rented an apartment until a condominium was available at River Hills, a beautiful golf community just inside SC. Henry got a hole-in-one at the River Hills Country Club on 23 Jul 1977, using a 4-wood on the 179-yard 17th hole.
      In the late 1980s Mary discovered she had breast cancer. She had the tumor removed and then suffered terribly from radiation therapy. That, and the drug Tamoxifen, gave Mary five more years of life. She and Henry moved back to Grand Rapids inb 1992 to be closer to their sons and their families.
      Henry loved the voices of Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis and Kay Starr. His favorite song was "Moon River." He was an omnivorous reader, especially on such subjects as the Civil War and the Revolutionary War. Loved poetry of Emily Dickinson and Faulkner’s short story, “A Rose for Emily.” He was also a self-taught gardener and rose bush enthusiast through books. Henry wrote many "Letters to the Editor" of newspapers, abhored handguns, was in favor of universal health care, and voting on weekends to increase voter turnout.
      After his wife Mary died, Henry joined a “Widowers” group. There he met Eleanor Wallin. When Henry began seeing Dr. Ramsahouie at the V.A. in 1999, he weighed 180 lbs. He learned that he had diabetes and put himself on a strict diet to avoid medication. He was successful and brought his diabetes under control. He lost most of his hearing due to the airplane noise during the War and wore hearing aids.Henry and Ellie were companions from 1993 until Henry’s death in 2008. Henry moved from an apartment to Villa Maria Retirement Home in 2007. By February 2008, he weighed 106 lbs. He died peacefully in his lounge chair.
      Henry was cremated and he and Mary buried together at the Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta, Michigan. His obituary in The Grand Rapids Press read: “Henry Donald Moore, age 86, passed away peacefully on July 22, 2008. Born on November 15, 1921 in Youngstown, Ohio, Henry was preceded in death by his loving wife Mary, and is survived by his sons Tim Moore of West Olive, MI and Bonita Springs, FL, and Terry (Deb) Moore of Gand Rapids; four grandchildren, Sara Moore of Falls Church, VA, Jamie Moore of Newport Beach, CA, Brenna Seitz (John) of Boston and Emily Brouillet (Richard) of Boston; great granddaughter Tavia Mary Seitz; and his dear friend, Ellie Wallin of Greenville, MI. Nicknamed “Hep,” Henry was a legendary member of the Dumpside Aces football team in Youngstown and, according to The Vindicator, once scored five touchdowns in a game. He graduated from East High School where he was an honors student and state champion in history. During WWII, he joined the U.S. Air Force where he served as First Lieutenant as a B-25 pilot in the 321st Bombardment Group in southern France and Italy. Piloting 61 missions, Henry received several medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross. Leaving the service with the rank of Captain, Henry settled back in Youngstown where he attended Youngstown College on the GI Bill and later became a successful executive in the construction machinery business that eventually led him to Grand Rapids. A self-taught maven on many subjects, one of his favorite expressionas was, “It’s all in the reading.” He was a loyal patron of public libraries and loved to browse the stacks and read various periodicals — often leading to a “Letter to the Editor.” Fiercely independent, Henry espoused diligent honest work, a good education, courage and a sense of humor. In his heyday, a perfect day for Henry might include mastering a crossword, enjoying a brisk round of golf with his sons at Green Ridge CC, admiring his grandchildren, tending to his rose bushes, and dancing gracefully with his beloved Mary to the sounds of Guy Lombardo. Heartfelt gratitude is extended to Dr. Gary Humphries, personal physician; to Dr. Andrew Ramsahoi and the VA Outpatient Clinic staff; and to the Villa Maria and Plus Care staffs for the care, patience and kindness shown Henry. Per Henry’s wishes, cremation has taken place. At a later date, the family will hold a private memorial service at Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta, MI. Memorial contributions may be made to the Killgoar Foundation (1935 Plymouth Rd. SE, 49506) or to the Evans Scholars Foundation (1 Briar Rd., Golf, IL, 60029).”
    Person ID I774  Moore-Bek
    Last Modified 20 May 2014 

    Father Thomas J. Moore,   b. 23 April 1877, Warrington, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 February 1949, Youngstown, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years) 
    Mother Anna Marie McNicholas,   b. 30 December 1881, Bilston, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 January 1942, Youngstown, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 60 years) 
    Married 15 January 1908  Youngstown, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F64  Family Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family/Spouse Mary Regina "Ursula" Rhattigan,   b. 8 February 1922, Youngstown, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 March 1994, Grand Rapids, Michigan Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Married 27 December 1944  Youngstown, Ohio -- St. Dominic's Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. Living
    +2. Living
    Family ID F61  Family Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

Send eMail to WMGS

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.

WMGS Online Trees - created and maintained by Western Michigan Genealogical Society Copyright © 2005-2018 All rights reserved. | Data Protection Policy.

© This Site Copyright WMGS 2002–2018

WMGS Main Home Page

WMGS Searchable Databases

Become a WMGS Member